Wednesday, November 16, 2016

He is with you. Every faltering step.

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I feel like I’m failing God. It’s like I know what I should be doing. I know I should be setting aside time every day for prayer. I know I should be treating everyone I come across with kindness. I know I should be pursuing Him in every waking moment of my day, but sometimes I just don’t. Sometimes the extra hour of sleep in the morning sounds better than sitting up with a cup of coffee and a journal to pray. Sometimes I can’t muster up my “nice side” to hold the door open for a few more seconds while someone comes in behind me. Sometimes I feel like what I want is better than what God is directing me towards.
 
Sometimes I fail and I fail epically.


 But where does that put God? How does He feel when I intentionally sleep in, or ignore the people I pass, or choose the world over Him? How does He see my constant, epic failings?


 Well, I’m not claiming to have all the answers, but I have made it this far and what I’ve seen is that He couldn’t care less. God doesn’t care that we are the worst when it comes to time management. He doesn’t get angry when we don’t see His face behind everyone we encounter. He doesn’t mind us taking a wrong turn here and there because we think we know what’s best. God doesn’t hold our failings against us because He has already won. He already knows our story… He wrote it!


 Our loving and good Father doesn’t have a rap sheet with our name on it. He doesn’t shake His head when we “fail.” I don’t even think He considers our mess ups as failures! I think He looks at us with His loving eyes and sees only our beauty. I think He sees the beautiful soul He created and He sees the light He placed within us. We can’t fail Him because He doesn’t have an expectation for us. All He has for us is love… A LOT of love! And while we feel we are failing and pulling further and further away from Him, He is right beside us!


 When we press the snooze on our morning alarm, He settles in our heart and lets us rest. When we turn our head from a homeless person, He awakens our compassion and gives us the courage to roll down the window the next time and give what we can. When we decide to follow our plan instead of His, He walks with us and carries us when it gets too hard.


 So, when you feel like you’ve done too much wrong and you think you’re too far away from Him, know that He is not holding it against you and that He is right beside you.  He is with you in your “failings” and He will never leave you to solve them on your own!


 “God doesn’t require us to succeed, He only requires that you try.” –St. Teresa of Calcutta

1 comment:

  1. This is just the reminder that I needed this week ~ thank you!

    ReplyDelete